The Unfortunate Annual Transient

This is my sojourn from Seattle back to the Midwestern motherland. Speckled enamel coffee cups, humidity, fireflies and confronting my addiction to change. Where will this one lead...

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Back in St. Louis

I've moved again. Hopefully at least the city won't change for a while. My accommodation aren't exactly enviable – a 4x10 three-walled art studio where I sleep on the floor – I love living in the city. I live right next to Blueberry Hill. I can hear the drum circle faintly from my bathroom. Riddle's hosts excellent free live music seven days a week, two blocks from my door. And there are three MetroLink stops within a 15-minute walk…can't complain too much. Except that it would be great to have a small market nearby. Since the time change, I have to bike or walk to the store after dark, and it would be great to have a small, local place to grab wine, garlic and tampons within a few minutes stroll. Can't have everything though.



I have to say, however, I've really been impressed and delighted moving back to the St. Louis City area (I am technically a County resident, by about two blocks). I haven't lived here since 2001, and really didn't venture out here when I would come to visit. But this city has really pulled itself up by its bootstraps. Is it Portland or Seattle? Or Boston? No. But I don't remember systems of urban bike paths six years ago. Once-crumbling historical districts with red brick row houses are undergoing major rehabilitation and encouraging new, young residents, restaurants and the arts. People live downtown. People talk about sustainable food sources and promoting local wine varietals. Not everyone of course, but some do, and that matters. Neighborhood associations get together and promote small civic projects like parks repair or street art. Urban development seemed like a joke ten years ago. But obviously, people were thinking and committing themselves to making St. Louis a better community, and I have to say, it is. Still a lot of work to come, no doubt. Outer ring suburbs still control the largest tax base, city schools are flailing, and, as I know personally, people are still gun-shy about taking public transportation. But its coming around. Its got a struggling little hip-vibe…like a neighborhood dive bar. And everybody loves a dive bar.



Here are a couple of my favorite STL sites:

www.urbanreviewstl.com

www.bikestlouis.org

www.trailnet.org

www.archcitychronicle.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home