The Unfortunate Annual Transient

This is my sojourn from Seattle back to the Midwestern motherland. Speckled enamel coffee cups, humidity, fireflies and confronting my addiction to change. Where will this one lead...

Sunday, March 05, 2006

My new life...in blue

For all of you who have ever studied art, or maybe just paid attention to these sorts of things, you understand the notion of "cool" versus "warm colors": every color has a warmer and cooler side...blues and pinks leaning towards cool, reds and yellows leaning towards warm. Anyway, since moving to Seattle, I've realized that Seattle-land wilderness has a cool tone, one that feels very blue to me. True, most of the area is covered in black-green evergreens, but even they seem blue-gray. Or the colors of my brother's eyes, if anybody reading knows Ryan well enough to picture his eye color. And this blueness colors everything, from the mountain ranges to the freeways to local grocery stores. It's calming, and clean-feeling, and the daily dousing of rain doesn't hurt either. I never thought of it much until I left the southern Midwest, where outside feels like a warm yellowish green, making the sky seemed washed out and the trees vibrant but oversunned. It's not necessarily better here, but it's different, and I bet it makes people feel differently as well. Perhaps its the reason people are exceedingly polite in traffic. The blue undertones urging everyone, "Calm down, we know the traffic is hell. Continue listening to your Jack Johnson CD and chill out."

I don't know, I like it though. It's not quite mine yet, and the suburbs are crowded and polished, but the tap water tastes great and its not a bad town to take a drive around. This morning we were up at 5:30 for Jason's gig, and drove into Seattle at 7:30, and it was beautiful. Rainy and cool, and utterly quiet (they don't have billboards here, so quiet morning drives are possible). I think I like the Midwest better for the twilight...but Pugent Sound has the morning.

Finding cool rocks

Beach

And again

Marks takes advantage of our mirrored booth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home