The Unfortunate Annual Transient

This is my sojourn from Seattle back to the Midwestern motherland. Speckled enamel coffee cups, humidity, fireflies and confronting my addiction to change. Where will this one lead...

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Brush, one, two, three....

We are wrapping up our stay in Iowa. Oh Iowa, the Geode and Wild Rose state. The sunsets were the usual chilly pink, the hills sunny and gray-beige, and the skies forever. Love it here. Beats the shit out of Ohio.

I'm getting a little ansy for some stability though. We've been home for almost a month, and travelled to three states, three homes, three sets of family and friends. I need, repeat need my own tube of toothpaste and reliable clothes-changing schedule. Makes me think of people who are always travelling, being "adventurous" and all that jazz. What do they do to give themselves a sense of routine? Watch that guy you know who travelled around Latin America for six years - bet he brushes his teeth with 60 perfectly counterclockwise strokes.

That said, I like the bathroom routine. Get up, go to the bathroom, wash face, towel off, brush teeth, fluff hair. I think I used to believe that routines like that made you boring, overly settled and predictable. But sometimes routines give you the stability to bust out ninja-style..."You need that presentation on your desk in 15 minutes? Yes, sir Mr. Johnson! Thankfully, I assembled my morning hygiene routine in proper order and I'm ready to kick ass." Those mornings when you forget a step, lose your keys, put the right shoe on before the left...those are the mornings that stomp you around. Try getting something done when you wake up at 11 am and spend the next 2 hours in your underwear reading blogs and watching Apple Trailers. Much better to get up, wash your face, brush your teeth...get on with your life.

Someday I will own once again my mundane routines, but until then...it's off to Boulder!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I traveled, my routine came from how I treated my stuff as much as it did from the order in which I did things. How I packed my bag was important: this goes in first, that goes on top of this.

[That's what she said.]

Also, as someone who has some serious unemployed time under my belt, I can definitely vouch for the unproductiveness that follows a slow start in the morning. Lazy beginning, lazy day. Getting up and out somehow influences the rest of your day.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Court said...

And what you have for breakfast.

Pancakes with eggs and toasts and all the fixins, and I'm down for the count. My only option is a long walk, a nap, or Google Video. Somehow syrup is an instant motivation killer.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home